Intellectual Disability Rights Service
The Intellectual Disability Rights Service (IDRS) is a specialist legal advocacy service for people with intellectual disability in New South Wales. We work with and for people with intellectual disability to exercise and advance their rights.
Submission to the review of disability legislation Disability Services Act 1993 (NSW)
Date: March 11, 2013
IDRS welcomes the review of disability legislation in NSW to underpin reforms to better cater for the needs and choices of people with disability in NSW.
IDRS believes that the NSW Disability Services Act 1993 (the DSA) has not been implemented to its full potential for flexible, person- centred support based on individual choice and control for people with disability.
Click to open the submission to the review of disability legislation Disability Services Act 1993 (NSW) (PDF file)
The Involuntary or Coerced Sterilisation of People with Disabilities in Australia Senate Committee Inquiry
Date: February 2013
Submission to the Senate Standing Committee on Community Affairs
This submission aims to identify some of the underlying concerns that lead to carers sterilising people with intellectual disability, or coercing them into the procedure, and makes recommendations on how these concerns can be addressed.
Click to open the submission to the Senate Standing Committee on Community Affairs (PDF file)
- - section32[at]idrs[dot]org[dot]au to obtain a free copy or for information about free training
- You can also call (02) 9318 0144 and speak to Mitch for further information
- Click on above link or the image to find out about locations and dates of future training
Services we provide:
- Free of charge and can be over the phone or face to face
- Legal advice is given to benefit people with intellectual disability
- Appointments can be made by calling IDRS
- For people with intellectual disability going to court for criminal matters
- Available for legal appointments and other court processes
- A state-wide service in NSW for victims, witnesses and defendants
- 24/7 state-wide service in NSW for people with intellectual disability
- Includes telephone legal advice at the police station
- Available to victims, witnesses and people accused of committing a crime
- For care and protection matters
- Legal advice, information and referral service
- We also provide consultation and education for service providers
- For people with intellectual disability, parents, advocates and service providers
- For lawyers, police officers and court officials
- Some training programs can be customised to address the needs of service providers
- To help clients with intellectual disability
- To discuss legal avenues open to people with intellectual disability
- Provide information about providing services to a person with intellectual disability
- For solicitors, service providers, carers and people with intellectual disability
- Most are free of charge, some can be be downloaded
- Please call IDRS to get these by post
We also work towards policy and law reform
- Publications relating to IDRS policy and law reform submissions
- Including reports relating to our major campaigns
Join our mailing list
We can send you emails with what's happening at IDRS.
We will only send emails when there is important news.
We do not share, sell or provide your details to anyone else.
You can sign up to our email list by filling the form below, and clicking on the submit button.
The Intellectual Disability Rights Service (IDRS) can be found at:
PO Box 3347
Redfern, NSW 2016
|Phone||02 9318 0144|
|Fax||02 9318 2887|
|FREECALL||1800 666 611|
|Phone||1300 665 908|
Site map and quick links
- Education main page
Education and Information
- About intellectual disability
- People with intellectual disability
- Families, advocates and carers
- Disability service providers
- NSW Police & other justice agencies