Intellectual Disability Rights Service
The Intellectual Disability Rights Service (IDRS) is a specialist legal advocacy service for people with intellectual disability in New South Wales. We work with and for people with intellectual disability to exercise and advance their rights.
Positions Vacant - Educator: 16-month contract position
- IDRS is looking for an Educator for a 16 month contract position
Applications close Monday 1st February 2016 5pm.
- Please click to access further information- Information for Applicants (PDF file)
Annual Report - 2014-2015
- Please click to view our latest Annual Report- Annual Report (PDF file)
Advocacy at Work - Watch Now!
- Alan was one of the first people to get NDIS in Newcastle. On this video Alan talks about how he got onto NDIS with support from an IDRS advocate and how NDIS has changed things for him in the last 2 years. One change is that Alan doesn't get into trouble with the police much anymore.
New website launched - Making Sense
- Helping parents with intellectual disability make sense of the child protection system in NSW
- Sections for lawyers, advocates and workers, family members and more!
- Information about issues, court process and procedures, and parents with intellectual disability
- This paper examines issues, legal and social, arising for defendants in apprehended domestic violence order (ADVO) and apprehended personal violence order (APVO) matters
- You can access the complete issues paper here- Issue paper - Defendant Incapacity and AVOs (PDF file)
- - section32[at]idrs[dot]org[dot]au to obtain a free copy or for information about free training
- You can also call (02) 9318 0144 for further information
- Click on above link or the image to find out about locations and dates of future training
Services we provide:
- Free of charge and can be over the phone or face to face
- Legal advice is given to benefit people with intellectual disability
- Appointments can be made by calling IDRS
- For people with intellectual disability going to court for criminal matters
- Available for legal appointments and other court processes
- A state-wide service in NSW for victims, witnesses and defendants
- State-wide service in NSW for people with intellectual disability
- Includes telephone legal advice at the police station
- Available to victims, witnesses and people accused of committing a crime
- Operates 9AM-10PM, Monday-Sunday (7 days per week)
- For care and protection matters
- Legal advice, information and referral service
- We also provide consultation and education for service providers
- For people with intellectual disability, parents, advocates and service providers
- For lawyers, police officers and court officials
- Some training programs can be customised to address the needs of service providers
- To help clients with intellectual disability
- To discuss legal avenues open to people with intellectual disability
- Provide information about providing services to a person with intellectual disability
- For solicitors, service providers, carers and people with intellectual disability
- Most are free of charge, some can be be downloaded
- Please call IDRS to get these by post
We also work towards policy and law reform
- Publications relating to IDRS policy and law reform submissions
- Including reports relating to our major campaigns
Join our mailing list
We can send you emails with what's happening at IDRS.
We will only send emails when there is important news.
We do not share, sell or provide your details to anyone else.
You can sign up to our email list by filling the form below, and clicking on the submit button.
The Intellectual Disability Rights Service (IDRS) can be found at:
PO Box 3347
Redfern, NSW 2016
|Phone||02 9318 0144|
|Fax||02 9318 2887|
|FREECALL||1800 666 611|
|Phone||1300 665 908|
Site map and quick links
- Education main page
Education and Information
- About intellectual disability
- People with intellectual disability
- Families, advocates and carers
- Disability service providers
- NSW Police & other justice agencies