About the Step by Step Guide
The Step by Step Guide is a concise and practical Guide for lawyers representing clients with intellectual disability in section 32 applications in the NSW Local Courts.
Our aim is to equip lawyers across NSW to properly prepare for and make section 32 applications on behalf of their clients with intellectual disability.
"The ability to make such applications should be an integral part of a local Court criminal advocate's basic skills, and this publication will become a necessary part of their kit."
Senior Public Defender
10 Oct 2011
- The legislation permits section 32 applications to be made for people with:
- developmental disabilities, including intellectual disability
- mental conditions, including acquired brain injury
- mental illness
- This guide:
- focuses on section 32 applications for people with intellectual disability
- includes a section specifically about acquired brain injury (ABI)
- includes useful information when preparing section 32 applications for clients with any developmental disability or with a mental condition
- This guide does not seek to cover section 32 applications for mentally ill persons in any detail
- Please click - The Step by Step Guide (PDF file) to download a printable version of this guide.
Please contact IDRS
- if you have any queries about the Step by Step Guide
- if you would like advice about the preparation of a section 32 application
- if your client requires court support through CJSN
You can contact IDRS
- By calling - (02) 9318 0144 9AM to 5PM, Monday to Friday
- Email - section32[at]idrs[dot]org[dot]au
IDRS will endeavour to respond to queries in a timely manner, but please allow up to three working days for a response. Should your query be of an urgent nature, please contact us by telephone rather than by email.
IDRS retains copyright in respect of the Step by Step Guide